MESSIAH


Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."   –Matthew 16:16


The beautiful name "Messiah" was listed early on in our plans as an "add if we have time" name. We had several names that we thought were notable and important that didn't make it on our initial lists due to time and materials.


Even after we called the project complete, I decided to make one more. How could we present the room on Easter Sunday without "Messiah"?

When Chewie offered this beautiful wire for the nail art letters on Good Shepherd, I tried several methods to make it work, but ended up using the jute twin for that sign. This beautiful brass wire was destined for another name.


The Steps:

  • Board prep. First I dug through the rubble that began as a sizable wood pile to find a few more boards. I came up with two table leaves, which weren't very appealing. I sanded most of the varnish off and then applied a heavy coat of mahogany stain, i.e., I dumped about a cup of stain onto the boards. Then I used a brush to streak the stain to give it a wood grain look, then let the whole mess dry.
  • Letters. This was more of the same, just using a different "string". I chalked letters onto the board, then wiped them off until they were barely visible. Then I nailed brass tacks to form the letter outlines. I followed a more consistent pattern when I strung the wire to give it a more uniform mesh appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment