LIGHT OF THE WORLD

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."   –John 8:12


This sign reminds us of how the 'Need to Adapt' characterized our project.
We originally planned to paint or apply letters to this beautiful plate glass window.
My son Max was an enthusiastic helper, and he applied his energy to polishing the glass. He even used a toothbrush and a scraper to clean all the tough-to-reach spots.

After I gave my approval of a Job Well Done, he leaped up and stepped out for the next task. To his horror, his foot caught the edge of the window and knocked it face-down on the floor with an ear-shattering crash.

Oh, the expression on his dear face! It's easy to forgive in the face of so much sorrow. I told him he saved all the kids in the elementary room the risk of breaking that window, because those glass shards were fearsome.

After a little more idea-browsing on Pinterest, I found some clever ideas involving chicken wire. I spray-painted the wire brown and Wendy and I stretched and stapled it across the back of the window frame.

It was a trust exercise. I stretched and held it. She strategically stapled it. In between my fingers.


My sister-in-law Angela Vanada was our behind-the-scenes Martha. She steadily worked away at all the odds-and-end tasks we gave her. I cut out a ragged swath of burlap from an old feed sack, and Angela stretched and glued the burlap to a rectangle of galvanized metal we found in a barn. 



I used the reliably quick waxed paper transfer method to apply the ink to the burlap, and we checked it off the list.

On a side note, our kids were the rough and ready test group for all the signs. They stopped in occasionally to check on the progress and we tested the readability of the signs. All the kids immediately told us this sign needed lights! My Mom hopped on Amazon, found a string of warm white LEDs (complete with a remote control), and we attached the lights on Hanging Day.

It was just the right touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment